The Circuit Laboratory for Advanced Sensors and Systems (CLASS)
was founded by Dr. Waleed Khalil in 2009 and is housed in the Electroscience Laboratory (ESL) complex. As part of the Ohio State University Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, the ESL is a major center-of-excellence
that has consistently maintained national and international preeminence in EM and Radio Frequency (RF) circuits & systems.
CLASS is sponsored by contracted research and collaboration with commercial and government organizations.
The research is also enabled by shared experimental facilities of the ESL. The lab is equipped with state of the art infrastructure including CAD tools,
wafer/package test facilities, and access to in house and external foundries.
Since its establishment, the lab has made significant contributions to RF and mm-wave circuits and systems.
Research activities of the lab focus on high-speed wireline and wireless
systems and mixed-signal circuits.
Current research projects include:
- Direct Digital-to-RF Transmitters Employing Mixer-less, ΔΣ and Pulse-Width Modulated Architectures
- High Resolution GHz-speed Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)
- Digital Time and Amplitude Calibration Techniques for DACs
- Ultra-Wide Tuning Range and Low Phase Noise mm-Wave LC Voltage-Controlled Oscillators (VCOs)
- Negative Capacitance Circuits
- Digital Beamforming Architecture and Circuits
- Integrated Circuits Reliability
- Power Management for Near-Threshold Chip Multi-Processors (CMPs)
Sponsors & Partners
- Mr. Tony Quach, Dr. Paul Watson, Mr. Len Orlando, Mrs. Aji Mattamana, Mr. Vipul Patel (Air Force Research Lab)
Dr. James Wilson, Army Research Laboratory
Dr. Radu Teodorescu, Asst. Prof., Computer Science And Engineering, The Ohio State University
Dr. John Volakis, Prof., Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University
Dr. Marian Verhelst, IMEC and Katholeike University of Leuven, Belgium
Dr. Mohammed Arafa, Intel Corp.
- Dr. Syed Naqvi, Intel Corp.
Dr. Oren Eliezer, CTO, Xtendwave Inc., Dallas, TX
Dr. Mohamed Dessouky, Mentor Graphics Corp.
- Mr. Magdy El-Moursy, Mentor Graphics Corp.
Dr. Khalil and Students Win Year's Best Paper Award at the Wireless Innovation Forum Conference on Communications Technologies and Software Defined Radio 2013- Selected as "Best of R&D Track"
Dr. Khalil Featured in IEEE Spectrum Article on the Change from Analog to Digital Circuits
Research Times to Decrease Drastically Thanks to Intel Donation
National Science Foundation Awards $175,000 BRIGE Grant to Prof. Khalil
ECE Grad Student Takes Bronze Medal at TSMC Research Competition
Prof. Khalil's Paper In Top 20 Most Accessed Papers in All IEEE Publications for December